Friday, March 13, 2009

Kid Friendly Friday - White Mud

I am bringing out another an older post for Amy's Round Robin carnival. Go check out other ideas HERE! White mud is a rainy day kind of activity. Kids love to unroll the toilet paper. The mud is fun to make and also to play in. We put it in our blow up baby tub for the girls to play with. A shallow rubbermade type storage container would work as well. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of it.

WHITE MUD
Step 1. Unravel about 1 1/2 rolls of two-ply toilet paper, then tear it into 2- to 3-square pieces. Put all of the pieces in a plastic tub.

Step 2: While the kids are doing step one grate half of a 3.1-ounce bar of Ivory soap into the tub. I used a knife to shave it instead of grating it.

Step 3: Slowly add about 6 cups of warm water, 1 cup at a time, while you and your child blend the mixture together by hand. It'll take about 15 minutes to mix it all up -- hang in there, it's worth the wait! Stop adding water when your mixture feels creamy and saturated. (You can always add more TP if yours gets too runny.)

Step 4: Help your child mold the mud into mountains, towers, and other shapes.

Step 5: Store the mud at room temperature in a covered container; it'll last for several weeks. (Dispose of it in the trash.)

Join in Kid Friendly Friday and add your post to Mr. Linky below. Include kid friendly recipes, reviews, giveaways, crafts, games, books.....anything! If you have a kid related question that you would like folks to help you with you can add that as well. Hope you find something useful! Thank you for participating!

20 comments:

  1. Cool!!!!! I am going to have to try this. I added an older post of mine with a craft (I hope that is not cheating)

    and thanks for popping over in my world this week......I am picking the winner today so lots o' luck to you (trying to put on my Irish accent for St. Patty's Day coming up......even though I am Portuguese/Native American and Canadian French)

    Anyway.....your blog is great and I will be visiting alot! :)

    Peace
    ~*Michelle*~

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Our boys would love to have permission to play in the mud!! :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun idea! i'll have to try that sometime!

    don't forget today is Free Giveaway Friday, so be sure to swing by The Pink Potpourri and enter to win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such ingenuity! I think my little man would eat it. My girls would think it was a blast, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great idea ! When my three stop getting the urge to put everything in their mouths I will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...that's a great idea. The kids must have a lot of fun in your house! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. White mud sounds so much fun! Sunnboy loves unrolling toilet rolls anyway so this is something we will definitely try!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet my kids would get a kick out of this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great project for kids! Mine of course are a little big. But in 15 years I hope to have grandchildren old enough to do this with!!!

    Funny thing is I am 49! I am old enough to have grandchildren. But my kids are 13 and 11, not anywhere near old enough to have children. LOL~!!

    Drop in an see me this week, I have a jumbled post about gardening and maybe even little guys would be interested in winter gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun, I never would have thought of this! I'm finally participating in KFF this week, though I'm a little late getting my post up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun! I added my link about yo-yo painting. Super quick, easy, and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like so much fun! I'll have to participate soon if I can think of anything particularly useful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. You make cool stuff like this AND the headbands? Those are so gorgeous, I can't quite get over it. I'm not sure I can quite get over the mess of the white mud though ;) Some things are just OUTside toys. Someday it will warm up again though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah, Come on by and snag an award I gave you on my blog!

    Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that sounds like fun! I have never heard of white mud! We will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never heard of white mud... seems kind of cool though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I was a kid I would go with my parents to the bowling alley on Friday nights, they were on a league. I would get bored, so my friend and I would go into the bathroom and wet tp and throw it up to the ceiling and it would stick and dry up there. (I was about 5 years old) shhh don't tell anyone.
    If my kids ever did that, they would be in some big trouble.
    Your idea sounds much better.:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like so much fun! I'm afraid the boys may have it on the walls and everywhere else but still something fun to do.

    Thanks for the idea :)

    Stopping by from Amy's.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow what a great idea to try out. Thanks for playing along with my Round Robin this month. It was great having you.. Happy Valentine's Day..

    ReplyDelete