Wednesday, March 24, 2010

FNCCC - Week 28 - Patrick and Gina Neely



Pat and Gina Neely are the hosts of Food Network's Down Home with the Neely's. They make great southern food! I choose the Black-Eyed Pea Salad because I am trying to clean out my pantry and had a bag of black eyed peas I was supposed to cook for New Year's. So instead of canned beans, I soaked the dried beans over night and cooked them in the crock pot for a few hours until they were almost tender. I froze half of them for another occasion.


This salad was nice and fresh. I loved the simple flavors. Certainly and nice change from regular boiled black eyed peas. I will use this is my summer salad rotation. It would be great for a cookout!


Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Recipe courtesy The Neelys, 2008

Ingredients
1 large tomato, diced
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/4 cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
Directions
Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together the rice wine vinegar, canola oil, sugar, and salt and pepper.
Toss all together and let marinate for at up to 8 hours in the refrigerator before serving.


I can't wait to see what you chose! Please link your post to MckLinky below. Enjoy your week~


7 comments:

  1. That does sound perfect for the summer! I love the Nealys:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bookmarked this one to try so I'm glad you made it! Now I know it's good =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear it was a success! I really like the Nealy's recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound yummy, I'd be the only one to eat it, but it would be yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite Neely's recipe - It's wonderful with Fritos, yum! I actually got everything to make this to post today but wasn't able to, will do soon though! It's delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds interesting. I have to admit, I've never had black-eyed peas before. I should give this a try!

    ReplyDelete