Wednesday, March 10, 2010

FNCCC - Week 26 - Michael Symon


This week's Food Network Chef is Michael Symon. I didn't find anything on the FN site that caught my attention so I searched the Internet and found this beautiful recipe at Food & Wine - Toasted Cornmeal Corn bread. Toasting the cornmeal makes this unique. The flavor is so unlike regular corn bread. I am from the north and like my corn bread sweet while my husband is a Southerner and likes his corn bread salty. This was a good mix because the smoky flavor from the toasting goes nicely with the honey. Loved it!

Toasted Cornmeal Corn Bread
Recipe by
Michael Symon

2 cups course yellow cornmeal (I couldn't find course so used the regular)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2/3 cup honey, warmed
2 large eggs, beaten
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Oil a 9-by-13-inch metal baking pan.

2. In a medium skillet, toast the cornmeal over moderately high heat, stirring con
stantly, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. (I was afraid this might be hard to tell with the small grind corn meal but if you keep the cornmeal container open you can really see the difference. You can tell by the smell as well.) Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in the flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk with the honey and eggs. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and whisk until moistened. Add the butter and whisk until smooth.

3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the corn bread cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature.

The corn bread can be wrapped in foil and kept at room temperature for up to 2 days. Reheat in the foil.
Doesn't it have such a nice color?
Can't wait to see what you've been cooking! Link your post to MckLinky below.








7 comments:

  1. Wow! I didn't even know you could toast cornmeal! What a great color it has too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of toasting the cornmeal too! Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I did the wrong chef. I must have done next weeks chef. That's the problem when you print out 10 recipes and don't note the source.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I'm so going to have to try this. I've got some cornmeal I bought for a recipe, and haven't used yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat recipe never heard of the toasting either, looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a tricky time finding a good recipe too, but this looks really nice. I'm going to have to give it a go =)

    ReplyDelete