Friday, January 30, 2009

Aloha Friday! Greetings!


Lest you think I am a grumpy old troll from last week's Aloha Friday rant about personal space, I will highlight one of my better qualities of engagement and ask another social situations question :)

When I am out for a walk I am that person that says hi to every person I see. Big toothy smile. Trying to make eye contact. You just never know if you'll come across that one person that really needs it that day. I am a Greeter. I know this comes from the Minnesota in me. Yes, I am now a Floridian by location, but by all weights and measures, I'm still a Minnesotan with a little better skin tone. We always act happy and cheerful and would never say anything but positives if a stranger asks how I am (my husband is reading this and thinking he has pulled up the wrong blog).

But there are always those that ignore my ever effort at stranger friendliness. The Leave Me Aloners. They walk by quickly. Avoid all eye contact. Pretend nobody is greeting them or sometimes even answer my greeting with a grunt (Which makes me giggle. Every time.) I'm OK with this response and will try harder if I ever see them again...which I'm petty sure would annoy them even further.

So which one are you? A Greeter or a Leave Me Aloner? If you are the Leave Me Aloner, how should I pick up on this before I commit to my enthusiastic greeting?

I had so much fun reading your responses last week (it's fun getting to know you - especially the quirky parts)but was scolded on my actions in that situation. SOOOO, I apologize. I do understand that we, Americans, like our personal space like no others. I will be aware of cultural differences. And if someone from India ever comes into my bubble, I will welcome them with open arms. Maybe we can even share some curry. I love that stuff!

Over at An Island Life it is time for Aloha Friday. In Hawaii, Aloha Friday is the day that they take it easy and look forward to the weekend. So on Fridays we take it easy on posting, too. Therefore, she asks a simple question for you to answer. Nothing that requires a lengthy response. Then everyone else asks a simple question of their own blog for others to answer. Fun stuff!!

16 comments:

  1. I am a greeter and like to do this at places like Disney and DC. When Chris and I were in DC years ago I said hi to every person we past and counted how many even acknowledged me. It wasn't very many but it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a greeter. I live in Iowa. We are for the most part a pretty friendy bunch here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit of both I guess. If someone says hello or greets me I always return the greeting. But I usually stick to greeting people that are older than me...This is just habit now, as a teen I noticed that "older" people almost looked at me like they were afraid of me {I dressed normal, really}. Probably just because I was a teen, so I made it a point to greet them ... put them at ease a bit. Sometimes it worked, other times they almost jumped that I was speaking to them. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally w/ ya on the curry. That was one of the best parts about living in England! Chinese & Indian take away. yummmm

    We live in the boondocks & everyone is pretty much friendly. Even the kid w/ the mow hawk & 54 piercings on his face is the nicest kid ever! So, yes, I'm a greeter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a mixture, depending on my mood. But if you come at me with a toothy grin like I'm imagining, I might run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't greet people but I don't ignore the ones who greet me. I always say hello back and smile. I am one who walks around with a big smile most of the time and I make eye contact. I think those two things prompt people to say hello to me and then I say hello back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Typically I would probably call myself a greeter, but do have my moments when I could be on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not necessarily a greeter...but I certainly dont turn them away. I do agree that you never know when that person out there is really in need of a smile and a hello.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really depends on my mood, but I do try to make eye contact and smile at people when I can. Love it when I can turn someone's vacant expression into a smile.

    Here in LA people aren't all that friendly. If I get a friendly greeting from a stranger I usually look over my shoulder to see if there is someone else they could be directing their comments to.

    When I take the twins out in public, it all changes. Everyone wants to talk to me then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will respond in kind if I am greeted, but do not go out of my way to greet other strangers. But, sometimes I do, if they look really stressed or sad... I am a Leave Me Aloner if the person greeting me is creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a greeter if I run into someone...but it is forced and in my heart of hearts I am a leave me aloner. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm definitely a greeter. even if i don't say something, my smile is my greeting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a greeter, I love meeting people.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the giggle! I laughed about the part about your hubby pulling up the wrong blog...

    I'm totally a greeter like you. I always smile and say hi and make eye contact. It's amazing how some people are so rude though. If it's a neighbor and they don't respond, I consider it a challenge...you will say hello to me!

    Please check out my Aloha Friday at
    http://eightymphmom.blogspot.com/

    Thanks & have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a greeter. Just try to make it by me without looking me in the eye! lol I love people and like to make them smile. Great post . . . and I understand the bit about your husband. My wonders about me sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete