School has started so this means lunches have to be made. This may be one of my least favorite things to do because I run out of ideas quickly. Here are some things I have found that work. I have made a list that hangs in a cupboard so if I run short of inspirations I can look to it.
- anything you can put on a stick (veggie kabob, cheese, fruit)
- anything that can be dipped (use ranch, fruit dip, peanut butter, refried beans, hummus)
- anything else that can be cut into shapes (heart shaped cheese and meat on crackers beats a Lunchable any day, cut your sandwiches with a cookie cutter, even better, use a small cutter and give them lots of little sandwiches - eat the remnants yourself, of course) Here is a cute cutout sandwich.
- anything that can be put in the cute little thermos (pasta, soup, leftovers)
- anything that they can assemble themselves (crackers and cheese, ants on a log - messy but fun, mini pizzas, nachos)
- use a food marker and write on a food item (saw this in the last Family Fun mag) haven't tried it yet but it is cute!
- unconventional lunches (cereal and milk, waffle sandwiches, hot dog bun with PB and banana)
- foods that look like dessert (parfait with yogurt and fruit, banana or zucchini bread)
Always include a note of encouragement! There is nothing better than knowing Mom is thinking about you during the day. I am planning on packing a joke of the day but haven't yet gotten around to that yet. Hopefully there is a site out there with lots of kid friendly jokes.
Share with me some of your lunch ideas. I need the help :) Enjoy your weekend!
Are you going to participate in my Food Network Chefs Cooking Challenge?