Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Favorite Cookbook - for now

I'm linking this post to 12 Days of Bloggie-mas over at A Moderate Life!

Over at Blessed with Grace the Tempt My Tummy Theme for today is favorite cookbooks. There are still plenty of links to recipes as well. Go check them out!



At this stage in life my favorite cookbook is Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. This is my go-to baby food book. Not only does it have baby food instructions, recipes, index with each food listed individually, and extremely helpful charts, it has a zillion easy and healthy toddler recipes and tons more. There is an arts and crafts section that gives you recipes to make your own bubbles, dough, paint, etc, With so many ideas. It truly is a wealth of information.



The listings of individual foods tells about each food, when your baby can first eat it, the equivalents (i.e. 1 medium avocado will yield about 1 cup), when it it in season, how to choose it, when it's ripe, how to store it, cook it, freeze it, and more! I could go on and on.


Every new mother should have this book. I'll have more posts about making your own baby food as Scarlett is just starting to eat. This book makes it really easy. I don't follow it anywhere near the point she does (grinding you own grains and crazy stuff like that :) but it still has everything I need. With it I have fed my older two without having to buy more than a handful of store bought food (for trips). I can imagine I save lots of money but I'm not motivated enough to do the math.


Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. That is awesome that you make your own baby food. I am so impressed. Can you tell, by my comments, that I did not make my own baby food, for Grace. I thought about it, but was too intimidated by the idea. This book would have helped. Thanks for letting everyone know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this book when Kaish was a baby. I NEVER bought real baby food. It always creeped me out a little. Hope you are having a great week! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to let my SIL know about this as she was wanting to make her own baby food. :D Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so my favorite baby/toddler food book. I love it. I don't always make the veggies myself but all the grains and legumes I do myself - so easy and much healthier.

    ReplyDelete