Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tempt My Tummy - Buttermilk Biscuits




I have to share this biscuit recipe as it is the closest I have come to my husband's grandmother's biscuits that were ***HEAVENLY*** I got it from Mommy's Idea Book - which is a great resource for all kinds of things. If you never been, please go check it out! The photo is hers as well. We ate ours too quickly to get out the camera and I can't photograph food for the life of me.

They are super easy to make and are hands down better that anything you'll get at the store. Use you hands to cut in the butter and to mix in the buttermilk. If you don't have buttermilk use regular milk with a tablespoon of lemon juice mixed in (let it sit for 5 minutes). You don't have to roll the dough, just shape it with your hands.

Now I know these are neither heart nor thigh friendly....so splurge infrequently. You'll be glad you did!

Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
Ingredients:
2 cups White Lily self rising flour (White Lily is best)
1/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup buttermilk
Melted Butter (I don't use this)

Directions:
Blend the flour and shortening together until the consistency of course bread crumbs.

Add buttermilk and mix and knead for about 1 minute until smooth and elastic.
Pinch off golf ball size chunks of dough, roll into balls and place on a baking sheet (I put mine in a cast iron skillet).

Press each ball down in the center to about 1 inch thick.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes at 450 degrees.
Brush with melted butter when they come out of oven.

Makes about 8 medium sized biscuits.

Visit Blessed with Grace for more Tempt My Tummy recipes!
Did you know you can do this FREE at Smilebox??

7 comments:

  1. My favorite if I made these they would be a mess for sure. Come on by today I have something just for you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look good.Thanks for joining TMTT this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love biscuits. I could eat homemade biscuits every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that buttermilk makes the biscuits so tender.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are so good and so easy they just sound hard to someone who has never made them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link. I'm so very glad you enjoyed the biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good biscuit so I will have to try these. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete