Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Celebrating Advent






A few years ago I took a workshop about celebrating advent in preparation for Christmas. I implemented a fraction of what they gave us and it was a huge hit with the girls. My favorite idea was the nightly family activities.


I made 25 little boxes (each year it's a different amount of days) with my blue, white, and silver Christmas theme. Each had a number and an activity inside for that night. I was a bit too ambitious the first year and was stressed trying to prepare my activities. This was not what I was going for. I wanted to spend some good quality time as a family each night. I learned that I needed to plan activities that were easy, but fun, with no stress for me. The girls get to find the numbered box for that day and find out what activity is to come that night. They can't wait to do it each morning.

We also try to play a lot of Christmas music, light festive smelling candles, read the Christmas story, and pray for those that we get cards from that day. Celebrating advent has made our Christmas much more special.

Here is my activity list for this year:
Nov 30 – Decorate the Christmas Tree!

Dec 1 – Make a paper prayer chain for the advent season

Dec 2 – Look through scrapbooks and home video.

Dec 3 – Have breakfast for dinner! Make Christmas wrapping paper out of paper bags.

Dec 4 – Go out and look at the stars. Play with the snaps and sparklers. Hot cocoa?

Dec 5 – We are going to Young Life camp! Let’s listen to Christmas music on the way!

Dec 6 – Young Life camp -

Dec 7 – Young Life Christmas Party!

Dec 8 – Paint everyone’s toenails bright red - let's see if we can get Daddy to do it! Play outside!

Dec 9 – Let’s go shopping so you can pick out a gift for your sister! Then let’s come home and wrap it!

Dec 10 – Make Christmas cards for your teachers. Make coffee mix for teachers.

Dec 11 – Decorate for Aunt Jackie’s Birthday party.

Dec 12 – Bake sugar cookies and decorate them! Send a care package to Aunt Abby and Aunt Beth.

Dec 13 – Run a 5K and kids run! Visit “A Walk Through Bethlehem” 4-9pm

Dec 14 – Scarlett’s Baptism (party!). Game Night! Make mulled cider and popcorn!

Dec 15 – Craft: color stained glass nativity book.

Dec 16 - Have a fancy dinner using the fine china (dress up for dinner).

Dec 17 – Read Christmas books.

Dec 18 – Go see Santa (in the neighborhood holiday party).

Dec 19 – Bring the tabs to the Ronald McDonald house (bring cookies too!).

Dec 20 – Feed the homeless. Bring them Christmas cookies as well.

Dec 22 – Watch The Christmas Story and eat popcorn!

Dec 21 - Go look at Christmas lights.

Dec 23 – Camp out in front of the Christmas tree and read stories.

Dec 24 - Make a birthday cake for Jesus!

Dec 25 – Christmas morning Breakfast!

Check out Works-For-Me Wednesday to get more great ideas!


Go HERE to read more about the overall celebration.
Go HERE to see a list of Christmas books that we read.
Go HERE to see a list of the specific activities we did last year.

8 comments:

  1. These are GREAT ideas! I've been looking for something to do for Advent that doesn't involve candy, trashy little toys or anything breakable. I'm definitely going to use your ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also button on a yellow ultrasuede star on our quilted advent calendar. We used one made of blue felt with 25 buttons on it before I learned to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I don't have any children but I think I could customize it for my husband and I =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,
    thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I am going to bookmark you and visit your blog more often! I love your list idea.

    V.
    http://www.repurposed.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like some fun things to do this month! :)

    Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your ideas! They're simple yet fun for family time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great calendar you have lined up! These are great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post was selected one of my great posts of the week. http://www.jdaniel4smom.com/2010/11/great-posts-i-came-across-this-week_20.html

    ReplyDelete