Monday, May 4, 2009

Tempt My Tummy - Tortilla Soup


I had a ton of different recipes for tortilla soup. Only wanting to put one in my recipe box, I combined the best of each and came up with this easy recipe....and threw all the others away - good-bye clutter! Everybody in the family enjoyed it.

Tortilla Soup

1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
4 cloves crushed garlic
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans corn
2 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can chicken broth (or water and bullion)
8 corn tortillas, cut into strips or 2 cups crushed tortilla chips - more if you want a thicker soup
1 cup shredded cheese (jack, cheddar, whatever)**
1 can evaporated milk (or one cup milk)**
chicken (optional, could use meat from rotisserie chicken)
garnish: sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips, avocado, cilantro, etc.

heat oil in large sauce pan and add chili powder, cumin, and garlic. Cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, corn, beans, broth, and tortillas. Boil 10 minutes, stirring often, until the tortillas are fully incorporated. Add cheese, lower heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add milk and simmer 10 more minutes. If adding chicken, add at the end and cook only long enough to heat chicken. Garnish. Enjoy.
You could spice it up with a can of green chilies.

**I have made this without the cheese and milk and it's still fabulous, not as rich, and quicker.

6 comments:

  1. that sounds great! I love tortilla soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tortilla soup! This looks like a good recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds yummy, I will have to try it. I love tortilla soup...especially at Max and Erma's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sounding recipe. I'll have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete