Friday, May 15, 2009

Kid Friendly Friday - Bananagrams!

Last year we were taught a game using Scrabble tiles where (long story, short - instructions here) you make words (each player works on their own crossword type grid) using all of your tiles before anyone else. Fun and, if you are like me, a little addicting. I love word games (Boggle anyone?). I got my parents to play with me the last few times they have visited. I even tried to get my husband to play when I was in labor...luckily we didn't, because we barely made it to the birthing center in time.


When I saw Bananagrams I knew it was a must-have. What I didn't realize at the time was the learning/teaching potential this game has. This simple game is comprised of is a banana zipper pouch filled with hundreds of letter tiles. You could, of course, dig out your Scrabble game and use it's tiles for the same purpose.

My kindergartner likes to use it to spell words and make sentences. I can't wait until she is old enough to start playing this (and Boggle) with me for real. Did I tell you that my husband no longer will play Boggle with me?

My preschooler likes to put her alphabet in order (great letter recognition). We also use it to make patters with the letters. Or I will write down a word and she will find the letters to spell it as well. For a little harder activity I will write out a word in lowercase letters and she will find the uppercase tiles to match. Because she is just starting to read I'll give her 4 tiles (TECA, for example) and have her try to spell cat (I do tell her she'll have 1 tile that she will not use :). Great for working on phonetics. For preschoolers the activities are endless.



And if your husband is as sweet as mine, you might find this on the table in the morning!


And for me....I spend a good deal of time nursing. And sharpening my skills :) Maybe one time I'll have enough time and space to use all 300 tiles!


Link up with Mr. Linky below to share your kid friendly ideas (recipes, reviews, crafts, books, whatever)! Check back to see what my creative participants have come up with as well. Enjoy your weekend!




5 comments:

  1. Great idea! Sunnyboy is a little young for this still but I shall get some for when he is older. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I hope you do not mind if I link up my I heart art post. I thought she was so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubby doesn't like word games with me either...and I LOVE Scrabble and Boggle! HUMPH! Great post!! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these type of games! I go to our second hand store and if I see a Scrabble game I always buy it. I collect the tiles because I love word games.

    Thanks for sharing this and the links.

    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love word games! My husband? Not so much. He doesn't like playing them with me, but I won't play Poker with him, so I guess we're even.

    What a sweet husband for leaving you that message in the morning. I'll have to remember this activity for when my daughter gets a little older and can identify letters!

    One of these days I'll be back to post a KFF activity! My poor kids...

    ReplyDelete