Wednesday, December 9, 2009

FNCCC Week #14 Duff Goldman

This week's featured chef is Duff Goldman, star of the show The Ace of Cakes. He owns Charm City Cakes which produces the most amazing cakes. They have a very talented staff! An Ace of Cakes books just hit the stores as well (which I browsed through during a Fancy Nancy party at Borders).

I started cake decorating a few years ago while making cakes for my daughters. I never thought I'd make them for others but now make cakes for friends and family. I haven't taken classes but learn everything about cake decorating from YouTube. With each cake I learn something new. I even started a cake decorating blog, Sarah Bakes. I am a big fan of marshmallow fondant and make my figures out of it (sometimes with added gum paste if I want them to harden). Yesterday I posted my favorite crusting buttercream recipe. What a fun hobby it is becoming!

Here is the race car cake and cupcakes I made for a party this weekend:

So what have you been decorating?? Link your post to MckLinky below. Next week's chef is Ellie Krieger.


  1. That's so cute! I'm afraid mine isn't that great.

  2. This is so cool! I love how you incorporated the cupcakes into the big cake =D

  3. I know you ask me to do this but I did not have a chance. Plus a cake to look like yours. That is just amazing. I did make cookies last night and I was so proud of myself. Have a great day.

  4. you are so talented!! I enjoy looking at your cake blog every once and a while too :)

  5. From one cake decorator to another...THAT looks awesome:-)

  6. I totally didn't get any decorating done this week. I was going to get my Christmas cookies done and posted, but I did get last week's recipe done. The chicken stew was yummy.

  7. Hi everyone,

    For this assignment I made a heart cake that you can read about on my blog, Sabbath Supper. Here's the URL:

    The MckLinky is closed for some reason so I wasn't able to add my link. I can't wait to see what you all will be doing for Ellie Krieger!