Wednesday, December 2, 2009

FNCCC - Week 13 - Dave Lieberman


This week's featured chef is Dave Lieberman. I changed my mind about which recipe I was making about 18,000 times. There were so many to choose from. I started out making the Cranberry, Apple, Ginger Chutney which morphed into something entirely different. Same thing with the Hearty Chicken Stew. I think the only thing I used were the main ingredients and the recipe's title. So we did a "kids in the kitchen" with his Creamy Banana Pops....and only changed it a little bit.

Peeling the mushy bananas. Not a job for the squeamish.

Creamy Banana Pops
Recipe courtesy Dave Lieberman

Ingredients
2 medium bananas, very ripe (we used 3)
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups whole milk (used a little bit more cream and 2% milk, and some leftover whole milk plain yogurt)
1/3 cup superfine sugar (regular granulated sugar)
Special equipment: 5-ounce paper cups
Wooden ice cream sticks

Directions
In a large bowl, mash the bananas very well with a potato masher or a sturdy whisk until almost lump free. You should have about 1 cup mashed. Whisk in remaining ingredients until fully incorporated. (I put everything in the blender and blended until the sugar was dissolved - 4 minutes, just to be sure)


Protecting the blender. Can you spot the button pushing villain?

Pour mixture evenly into paper cups, and freeze 1 hour so the pop is firm but not frozen through. Remove from freezer and insert a wooden stick in the center of each pop. Return pops to freezer and freeze until solid, about 2 to 3 hours. To serve, peel paper cups away and eat immediately. (In stead of all of this we put the mixture in the ice cream machine and had a very tasty banana soft serve. Everybody loved it. I like it after it's been in the freezer awhile and it's harder.)


Bad picture. Good Eats.

If this is any indication if we will make it again.....everyone wanted seconds :)


So what have you been cooking?? Link your posts to MckLinky below.

11 comments:

  1. Yum yum! I went for a super easy recipe this week because I didn't have much time to think about anything. Although, there are many many of his recipes that I would like to try ... including this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah and everyone,

    This is Rebekah here. So what's up with my multiple entries this week? Well, I've been a couple chefs behind for awhile and Sarah--being the thoughful person she is--said I should add a few of my previous recipes to this week's challenge in order for people to spot them. A quick note: Daisy Martinez from Week 11 is included in my Claire Robinson post, so click on that link to view Daisy's recipe. I was hoping to make a separate link for Daisy but I just discovered that MckLinky doesn't allow same link doubles. Oops!

    I have not made Dave Leiberman's recipe yet but that will be coming in a couple days. Be expecting it.

    Thank you very much, Sarah!
    Rebekah from Sabbath Supper

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your children always help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh, I didn't get my cooking done for this week. What with sickness, holidays, and what all it just didn't happen. But, I'm making the chicken stew tonight, we'll see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ought to make this, I love bananas and have some very brown ones in my freezer at the moment.

    ReplyDelete