Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tempt My Tummy - Pretzel Covered Fish


I have a hard time getting my kids to eat fish. A friend of mine suggested breading it with pretzels and panko. I didn't have panko crumbs so went with only crushed pretzels and we LOVED it. Even my oldest daughter asked for seconds. I had left over compound butter from a blackened catfish recipe I did the previous week, which put it over the top (I used plain butter on the kid's fillets). The fish was moist and flavorful.




Pretzel Covered Fish

4 fillets of whatever fish you like (We used Talapia)
1 cup pretzels
1 egg
butter or compound butter (below)

Crush pretzels inside an empty cereal bag/liner, because they are thicker than plastic bags, to avoid messy crumbs. My daughter had a rough day so she used a rubber mallet to crush them. There were some pretty large crumbs as you can see by the picture.

Butter the bottom of a baking dish (or use half of the compound butter). Coat the fish with an egg wash (I used only whites) then dip in pretzel crumbs. Drizzle with butter. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes (or until fish is flaky - will really depend on the thickness of the fish).

Blackened Compound Butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 tablespoon Creole seasoning
1/2 lemon, juiced (1 TBS or so)
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper

Mix all.
Enjoy! Go find more Tempt My Tummy recipes at Blessed With Grace!
Do you have any other ways you can get kids to eat fish?

7 comments:

  1. I don't make fish often enough because I get so bored with the way I prepare it. This looks amazing so I'll certainly give it a try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks so good! I never thought of using pretzels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooo...that sounds REALLY good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought of doing this but it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! This look delicious. Our family loves tilapia. This variation looks wonderful. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    XO*Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious!! Yummy!!
    I love anything that makes fish taste good!

    ReplyDelete