Monday, February 7, 2011

Cheerios Peach Crisp

The folks at Cheerios asked me to come up with a breakfast or springtime experience my family will love using Original Cheerios and seasonal ingredients. I made a Carmel Apple Cheerios Picnic Mix and then couldn't accept that I made it using fall ingredients (even though it is great for spring picnics).  The next thing I came upon were peaches.  Our family drives through Georgia each year, stops at a roadside stand and loads up on peaches.  I freeze them just for peach crisp and they are still so pretty when spring roles around.  So on my second attempt I came up with a peach crisp using a ground Cheerio topping.  YUM!!  We all love this.  The Cheerios give the streusel topping so much more depth of flavor than a regular white flour base.  This will be my go-to peach crisp.  So, can we all get on board with peaches as a spring ingredient?  LOL, probably not.  I missed the mark again with the seasonal ingredients but I sure didn't miss the mark with the recipe!  I even ate it the next morning for breakfast, you know, just to be in line with the given theme :)  Try it!

Peach Crisp with Cheerio Streusel

Filling:
9 ripe peaches, peel and pit, sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons wheat flour (or ground Cheerios)

Topping:
1 stick cold butter
3 1/3 cups Cheerios, divided
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine peaches, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and flour in a 9x13 pan.




Put 3 cups of Cheerios in a blender and blend until it's the consistency of flour.


Combine ground Cheerios, butter, sugars and cinnamon in a large bowl.


Using your hands (or a pastry cutter) rub through your fingers until the topping is a coarse texture.  Add remaining 1/2 cup of Cheerios and blend well (smoosh the butter mixture all around the whole Cheerios)


Place topping on top of peaches.


Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  The topping will be golden brown and peaches will be bubbly.


Eat it warm topped with vanilla ice cream. 
Skip the ice cream when eating it for breakfast the next morning (or not :).



Have you visited the Cheerios Facebook page yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment