Thursday, October 8, 2009

Kids in the Kitchen - Pickle Rolls


Today over at Sacred and Profane a new Blogstyle Iron Chef ingredient was unveiled. Pickles. The recipe has to have pickles as a main ingredient. I hadn't picked out an after school snack or a Kids in the Kitchen recipe for this week yet so this was PERFECT. We used to make these all of the time in college. I haven't made them since then (that's a LONG time) but don't have any other recipes that use pickles. It's a stretch!

Cream Cheese Rolls
Ingredients: Pickles, cream cheese, and lunch meat (I like it with ham but all we had was turkey and it worked well).

Lay the lunch meat on a plate (double it if it's thin). Spread on cream cheese. Put a pickle in the center and roll it up. We would slice them for cute looking appetizers but for snack just eat the whole roll! I like to do them with the little pickles but pickle spears work as well. Simple and tasty. Bigs favorite part was fishing the pickle out of the jar. Mimi refused to use a pickle at all.


Go over to A Little Fun With Me and Lu to check out more Kids in the Kitchen posts! And if you have a good pickle recipe submit it for the Iron Chef competition at Sacred and Profane.
I googled pickle recipes and really want to try pickle bread, pickle soup, and pickle cheeseburgers.....but just not in time for the competition. There's only so much pickle my family will put up with :)

13 comments:

  1. I have heard of these but never made that leap. I think I am going to try it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made these before! I saw Paula Deen do this on her show - back before she was a popular as she is now...6 yrs ago.

    They are good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about fried pickels? Those are yummy. I use to make those snacks. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the only one in my family that will eat pickles! I wish I baked though; I think dill pickle bread would be perfect for sandwiches. Well, meat and cheese ones anyway; I'm not ready for PB & J on pickle bread ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like pickles on burgers only, but we used to make salami roll-ups. Just salami with cream cheese inside. Roll it up and YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember these. We used to make this for ummm appetizers when I was growing up. I don't think I could eat them now though :) Bunsteads are my favorite pickle food though. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm yes fried pickes that would be so yummy! I have also never hear of what you made, the cobination of crm cheese and pickles work well together?

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow is that a weekly meme as well? sounds super interesting i think some of my teens would love the recipe you are sharing today as well

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooo - we use to make these all of the time when I was a kid. I am so happy to be reminded of them and can't wait to try them with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Came over here from Heidi's blog, and that is the funniest thing, I JUST told her the ONLY pickle thing I've ever had was THIS recipe, and *I* had never made it! LOL But I sure did LIKE it! LOL

    I'll make this for sure. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds yummy. Good luck. :-)

    ReplyDelete