Wednesday, February 17, 2010

FNCCC #23 Mario Batali

I am linking this recipe to 12 Days of Bloggie-Mas at A Moderate Life!

This week's featured chef is Mario Batali. He hosts the Food Network programs, Molto Mario and Ciao America. I look forward to seeing many Italian recipes this week!

I had barley in my pantry that was calling my name so I decided on this Bean and Barley soup. It was fantastic. Very flavorful with the simple ingredients and simple preparation. I thick soup, nice for cool days. I will be making this again.



Bean and Barley Soup: Minestra di Fagioli
Recipe copyright 2001, Mario Batali. All rights reserved.

Ingredients

3/4 cup dried borlotti beans, soaked for 8 hours, drained and rinsed (I used one can of baby butter beans)
1 medium potato, roughly chopped
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
1 small carrot, roughly chopped
1 fresh bay leaf
2 fresh sage leaves
1 fresh rosemary sprig
4 sprigs Italian parsley
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup pearl barley
1/4 pound pancetta or slab bacon, finely chopped (I used bacon that I fried first)
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Directions
In a large stock pot, combine the beans (because mine were already cooked, I didn't add these until the second hour of cooking), vegetables, herbs, garlic, and 1 quart water (I used chicken stock). Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, covered, over very low heat for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, rinse the barley and place in a large saute pan with the pancetta, and pepper to taste. Cover with 1 quart of water and bring to a boil. Add the barley to the bean soup and cook for 1 more hour, until the barley is very tender.

Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Drizzle individual portions with olive oil.
I can't wait to see what you have been cooking! Use MckLinky below to link your recipe.







7 comments:

  1. Yum! A delicious and healthy way to keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love barley soup -- scratch that, I love barley. Thanks for another yummy recipe in which I can use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know I have NEVER made anything using barley? I might have to try this since it sounds so easy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the second entry...I forgot the "l" in the "html" the first time I entered my link:-(

    One of my favorite restaraunts in Milwaukee is Beans and Barley and you know, I have never had that soup! Maybe I should try it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That soup looks fantastic, I've never tried barley before but I just might have to now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm really enjoying these challenges, thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete