Wednesday, October 21, 2009

FNCCC Week 8 - Brian Boitono

I'm linking this to 12 Days of Bloggie-mas at A Moderate Life


This week the featured chef was Brian Boitono, figure skater turned FN chef/host. His show is really new and has only aired 4 episodes, so the pickin's were slim (unless you opted to do another recipe from a previously featured chef, or maybe one you missed). I didn't think I would be able to choose one from Brian that would fit my family but decided to give this one a shot. It was a winner. Everyone ate it (some things were picked out by the girls) but overall it was very tasty and I would make it again. The croutons themselves were WONDERFUL!

Tomato and Garlic Crouton Salad
Recipe courtesy Brian Boitano 2009

Serves:
6 servings
Ingredients
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
3 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 loaf ciabatta bread, cut into small cubes
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 pints red and yellow, grape and pear tomatoes, sliced in 1/2
1 cup halved, sliced kalamata olives (I didn't add these because everyone would have picked them out)
1/2 pound perlini mozzarella (couldn't find this specific so used fresh mozzarella, cubed)
8 basil leaves, chopped
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a small skillet over medium-low heat, add 3 tablespoons olive oil, the butter, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook to infuse the butter and oil with the garlic, about 4 minutes.
Add the cubed bread to a large bowl, pour the butter and garlic mixture over the bread and toss to coat. Transfer to a sheet tray and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
In a small bowl whisk together the remaining olive oil and red wine vinegar and set aside.
In a large serving bowl, combine the tomatoes, olives, mozzarella, croutons, basil, and the oil and vinegar mixture. Gently toss to coat all the tomatoes and croutons. Let the salad sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Can't wait to see what you are cooking. Link your recipe posts below. Next week we will be cooking and posting recipes from Cat Cora, who has a ton of recipes to choose from. She was the first female Iron Chef. Neat.

10 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks great! He doesn't have many recipes out, but what he does have looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That salad is something that I would really really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious. I would make this. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this recipe looked so good but I knew I'd be disappointed if I used the tomatoes available at the supermarket right now. I'm glad to know it's good, I'm saving it for next tomato season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, good idea Mub! It would probably be even more fabulous with fresh off the vine tomatoes from the farmers market.

    I'm really suprised but it seems like his recipes were unanimously enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks tasty. I made a dessert from him and it turned out wonderful as well. Fun week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom said:
    We tried two of Brian Boitano's recipes.

    Crab and Avocado - very good. We had so much left after the baguette
    was gone we are having some on a baked potato with melted cheese on the top.

    Spanish Tortilla - Nothing special. I would have added green pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah and everyone!

    I am quite far behind the rest of you who are doing this Challenge, but at least I am still here! So take a step back in time to Brian Boitano's recipes. :) I chose to do his Coq Au Vin-guine recipe which is an Italian twist on the classic French dish, Coq Au Vin ("cock with wine"). Please read all about my cooking experience by visiting my blog, Sabbath Supper. Thanks a bunch!

    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Love bread salads, this sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete