Wednesday, October 7, 2009

FNCCC Week 6 - Bobby Flay

I got my recipe out of Bobby Flay's "Mesa Grill Cookbook" from which I want to try about a dozen recipes. I chose Queso Fundido with Roasted Poblano Vinaigrette.

WOW! Loved, loved, loved it (and it got great reviews from all my spicy loving friends). The poblano vinaigrette is amazing and made the queso special. Leftovers warmed up nicely and still had wonderful flavor. I will make this again in a heartbeat.

Here are the roasted poblanos. Aren't they pretty?

QUESO FUNDIDO WITH ROASTED POBLANO VINAIGRETTE

1 TBS unsalted butter

1 TBS all-purpose flour (I used wheat)

1 cup whole milk

3 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese

1/4 tsp kosher salt

1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper

8 ounces fresh goat cheese, cut into 8 slices (I used 8 ounces of crumbled)

Roasted Poblano Vinaigrette (recipe follows)

2 TBS chopped fresh cilantro

Tortilla chips

1. Preheat the broiler

2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for one minute. Whisk in the milk and cooked until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the Monterey Jack cheese; season with the salt and pepper.

3. Scrape the mixture into an 8-inch cast iron skillet and place slices of goat cheese over top. Pu the pan under the broiler and brown until the goat cheese is golden on top. Remove from the over an drizzle with the poblano vinaigrette and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with chips.

Roasted Poblano Vinaigrette

2 poblano chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
2 TSB cold water
1 TBS red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tsp honey
1/4 cup canola oil
salt and pepper to taste

Combine everything in a blender and puree until smooth. This can be made up to 8 hours in advance and refrigerated.

Next week we will tackle a recipe from Bobby and Jamie Deen - no recipes on FN (although you can do a search for "Lady and Sons" and can find some) so you can do a Paula Deen recipe instead (it's a long time until we get to her again and she has a TON of recipes :) If you have one of their cookbooks, feel free to use a recipe from there! - post October 14, 2009

Can't wait to see what you are cooking!

6 comments:

  1. I love poblano peppers. Sounds like a winner recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That does look really good!! I grew poblanos in my garden this year so, I will have to bookmark that one:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that Queso sounds and looks delicious, I will have to try it we just love chips and queso!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks wonderful! I'm going to have to keep my eyes out for poblano peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Bobby Flay isn't considered the perfect baker but I went with his Oat Cake, nonetheless. The recipe was published in Food and Wine magazine so it is not included in the Food Network recipe archive. Just visit my blog to find the recipe source. The cake turned out great and was VERY easy to prepare, I strongly recommend it for those who need a fast, comforting dessert.

    ReplyDelete