Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Matters of the Heart


Our small group has been listening to sermons from Mars Hill pastor, Mark Driscoll. Yesterday we discussed his second Sermon on Proverbs, talking about the Heart. It was a very telling sermon and I learned and reflected on many things. One of which I put into practice yesterday.

Emma was at her grandparent's house yesterday, and although she came home happy, she had a hard time being nice to her sister at bedtime. One of the items Pastor Mark touched on is how the current condition of your heart reflects in all that you do. Emma's heart was not in a peaceful place. Instead of telling her what she should and shouldn't be doing, I asked her what was going on in her heart. I would have guessed that her answer would be "I don't know", and a lot of sighing and eye rolling, as she usually isn't very cooperative when we talk about what is going on with her. She started out trying to blame it on her sister. I reminded her that nobody controls her actions but her.

She surprised me and said she was a little sad about the day's events. She went on to tell me about specifics and about her disappointments. I was blown away. I told her that even though her heart was sad, praying and talking with Jesus about it could make it better. She agreed and I left her to talk it out.

I was amazed at how much information I had gotten from one little question. Getting to the heart of the matter was what was needed. I learned a lot and I hope she did too!

What ways do you help your kids through times when they are just plain ornery and disagreeable?

1 comment: