Wednesday, April 28, 2010

FNCCC Week 33 - Sandra Lee



This week's Food Network chef is Sandra Lee of Semi-Homemade. I made the Chicken Souvlaki because I had several of the ingredients on hand. We loved it. Making the pitas on the grill with pizza dough sounded fun but I already had fluffy pitas to use up. I'll have to try it next time. This was a very flavorful meal. I served it with spicy sweet potato fries. My oldest daughter said that the spices really added flavor but not spice (hot). Anytime they see visible spices they freak out so I'm glad that they liked this as it was covered in spices. I really want to try pizza dough on the grill so I'll keep that in mind for next time.
Chicken Souvlaki with Grilled Pita
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee

Directions
Souvlaki Marinade:
2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill leaves
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 pounds split chicken breast, bone and skin removed, sliced into 1-inch pieces (I used 2 pounds boneless, skinless)

Tzatziki Sauce:
1 small cucumber, diced
2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill leaves
1 (8-ounce) container plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt so it was thicker)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons hot sauce (I did not add because I was feeding kids)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Grilled Pita Bread: (I used premade fluffy pitas - not the split kind but the puffy kind)
1 (1-pound bag) refrigerator pizza dough, at room temperature
Flour

Toppings:
5 large romaine leaves, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 medium onion, thinly sliced

(I also added feta to mine)
Chicken:
In large bowl whisk together all the souvlaki ingredients, except the chicken. Reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons for Round 2 Recipe Greek Flat Bread. (I used all of the seasoning for my 2 pounds of chicken, it was very flavorful). Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and let marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight in the refrigerator.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and add to the pan. Cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes.

Tzatziki Sauce:
In a medium bowl combine all the tzatziki sauce ingredients and set aside.

Grilled Pita Bread (I skipped this but put my fluffy pita in the oven to warm up):
Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. On a floured work surface, roll out each portion into 6 to 7 inches in diameter and about 1/8-inch thick.
Preheat a grill pan or grill over medium heat.
Grill the dough for 2 to 3 minutes per side. The pitas should be cooked through but still pliable and not too crispy.
To Assemble:
Put a grilled pita onto a plate, top with some cooked chicken, lettuce, tomato, onion and some tzatziki sauce. Repeat with remaining ingredients and arrange on a serving platter.

So what did you cook? Link to MckLinky below.


6 comments:

  1. the pita sounds really tasty! I bet pizza on them would be excellent :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, I need to try more Greek style food, something about not being able to pronounce it stops me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks and sounds GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree making a pita out of a pizza crust sounds really intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo yum that looks so good! And served with my favorite food, the delicious sweet potato :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet my husband would love this! I think the sweet potato fries have been declared a winner by all of us who have tried them *L*

    ReplyDelete