Wednesday, April 21, 2010

FNCCC - Week 32 - Robin Miller






I hadn't heard of Robin Miller before this week but I'm glad I did. I found a keeper in her Minestrone Soup with Pasta, Beans, and Vegetables. It was a snap to put together (int he crock pot!) and had excellent flavor. I was out of Parmesan so topped it with an asiago mozzarella mix. Everything else I did exactly as written. I'm OK that my older girls didn't eat it because I can't wait to eat the leftovers myself. The baby loved the beans, carrots and pasta. It would work well as a veggie soup - just leave out the pasta. This is definitely going into my recipe box.



Minestrone Soup with Pasta, Beans and Vegetables
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller

Ingredients
3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can white (cannellini or navy) beans, drained
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
2 bay leaves
Salt and ground black pepper
2 cups cooked ditalini pasta (subbed macaroni)
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 cups coarsely chopped fresh or frozen spinach, defrosted
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
Basil sprigs, garnish, optional
Directions
In a slow cooker, combine broth, tomatoes, beans, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, sage, bay leaves, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.


Thirty minutes before the soup is done cooking, add ditalini, zucchini and spinach. Cover and cook 30 more minutes. Remove bay leaves and season, to taste, with salt and black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle parmesan cheese over top. Garnish with basil, if desired.


So what did you cook this week? Link your post to MckLinky below. You still have time to enter the giveaway - I'm picking the winner tonight. Enjoy the rest of your week!


6 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. I love a good minestrone. I hadn't heard of her either, but so glad because we really loved our recipe also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really delicious and healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to pass it on to a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I think she's got a lot of good recipes, I know I was bookmarking them like crazy *L*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds great. Very healthy!

    ReplyDelete