Sunday, December 9, 2012

Upside-Down Prayers for Parents Book Review

I find myself praying for my children's safety when I know that is not what God wants for them.  God never says that we should be safe.  Instead I should be praying that they have the tools they will need for whatever comes their way.  In Lisa T. Bergren's Upside-Down Prayer for Parents she does just that.  The book consists of  "31 Daring Devotions for Entrusting Your Child - and Yourself - to God".    I KNOW this is what my children need but often have a hard time expressing it.  Knowing they need to have what it takes to rely on their faith during any circumstance is a scary thing.  Can we fully prepare them?  Can we protect them?  No, but God can and through prayer we can submit to God' will for them.

The devotion titles will grip your heart.  I pray you'll get so weary you give up - and learn that with submission comes strength.  I pray you'll experience unanswered prayers - and develop deeper, wider trust.  I pray you'll be shattered - and allow God to build you up again.  I pray you'll confront evil - and recognize that Good is a stronger force.  These are just a very few of the hard, but needed situations in which our children need upside-down prayer.  Each one starts with a bible verse, has a devotional reading, a prayer, a section that questions you and a section with questions for younger and older kids.  Each will get you and your children thinking about what God wants for you.

I absolutely recommend this book for all parents.  If will challenge you.  It will change your perspective on the things your child needs.  Or, really, what we all need; a faith that transcends circumstance. 

I received this book from Waterbrook Multnomah for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review and all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment