Have you ever eaten a no sugar diet?
I have been no sugar for a week now! Honestly! I turned down the cupcakes and cookies at work and the ice cream social at school. I didn't even eat the remaining chocolate raspberry filled cupcakes in the refrigerator. That is a HUGE step for me. I never thought I could go a week without a sugary sweet treat. This is what I have noticed....
- When I get a sugar craving fruit doesn't help. What does help is a Larabar type bar (dates, coconut, cocoa powder, etc.). The dates are high in sugar but natural, not refined. Still gives my blood sugar a surge but perhaps not the same way as white sugar.
- Obviously, I'm still having sugar cravings, especially after meals.
- I don't seem to have the emotional highs and lows that I had before. I was pretty even this week. I know this will take more than a week to see if it's really true. I'm a stress situation eater, so this was a nice break.
- It seems like my sense of taste is more distinct. I wonder if this is related or that I'm just making some really good veggie dishes :)
- Pasta still make me overeat. When you cut out sugar, you cut out a lot of carbs. Pasta doesn't have sugar so doesn't make your blood sugar go crazy, but it still makes my mind want "more, more, more".
- When I splurged and got a Coconut Cream Pie Larabar at the store today, it was the best thing in the entire world. I could taste every part of it. YUMMMMMM! Ingredients:dates, unsweetened coconut, almonds, cashews, extra-virgin coconut oil. I must try to recreate this one!
- I really want to bake some sugary fall treats (Cinnamon Sugar Apple Bread, Pumpkin Scones, Apple Cake.....) but may hold off another week and see what else my no sugar diet gives me. I know I could try the honey or maple syrup sweetener route, but I really want to do as much sweetener free as possible.
Anyone ever do the no sugar deal?
"In Hawaii, Aloha Friday is the day that we take it easy and look forward to the weekend. So I thought that on Fridays I would take it easy on posting, too. Therefore, I’ll ask a simple question for you to answer. Nothing that requires a lengthy response."So head over to her site, An Island Life and answer her question but while you are here you might as well answer mine :)