Sunday, April 10, 2011

Rice and Lentils - a quick pantry meal

I found this recipe tucked away somewhere I knew I would find it (from years ago) and threw it together for lunch last week. I forgot how easy and how tasty it was!

Rice and Lentils
1 cup lentils (whatever color you have)
1/2 rice (I used white although you could alter the cooking time for brown)
6 cups water
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garam marsal
1 tsp curry powder
2 tsp salt
caramelized onions (optional, I just finished caramelizing onion in the crock pot so had some on hand)

Mix lentils, rice and water in a medium saucepan. Heat until boiling, cover, turn down to low and cook 30 minutes. Take off  heat and add spices and onions, if using.

Easy. Filling.

This post has also been linked to:
Mouthwatering Monday at Southern Fairytale
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed with Grace
Tuesday at the Table at All the Small Stuff
Hearth and Soul at A Moderate Life
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

3 comments:

  1. I make this only lots more complicated - can't wait to give this a try! Yum! thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice and letils is such a healthy and nourishing hot meal. I love your recipe :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    I just love a meal like this that can be put together from the pantry. Your recipe is great ! Thank you for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete