Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Tempt My Tummy - Crusting Buttercream


I haven't been decorating cakes long but learned quickly that regular buttercream does not hold up well in Florida's heat and humidity (it's December and it's in the 80's). The crusting buttercream is important if you are decorating the cake and want it to look smooth, something you can really do with ooey-gooey frosting. I have tried numerous recipes but this one holds up well but more importantly, tastes good. I can't stand the frosting that leaves a greasy film on the roof of your mouth. This doesn't. And yes, I know, it's anything but healthy but it's CAKE. It's a treat. Everything in moderation and you'll be fine :)

Best Crusting Buttercream
1 1/3 cups Cricso
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (one package)
3 Tbsp clear vanilla (if you need WHITE frosting) or other flavors
2 lbs powdered sugar

Directions
Mix all but the powdered sugar for a minute or two, then gradually add the sugar. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Mine usually goes for about 8 minutes. A stand mixer with the paddle attachment is your best bet for this.

Enjoy! Go find more Tempt My Tummy recipes at Blessed With Grace!

4 comments:

  1. I've had trouble with my buttercream crusting ever since they changed Crisco to trans-fat free. Although, from what I understand, I'm not alone in that. Once upon a time, I did bookmark a buttercream recipe that called for Dream Whip...... The one I currently use calls for half crisco/half butter (love the butter....seems less greasy to me), and I almost always use almond flavor. It's just not as stable as I would like, so I'll have to give this one a shot. I miss being able to smooth out the icing as well as I wish I could!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for a good one! Thanks for posting this one for me to try:-)

    ReplyDelete