Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tempt My Tummy - Lime Sorbet


I have a tree full of Persian limes out front so finding this easy recipe for lime sorbet was a jewel. This makes a very sour sorbet which I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. Little Bit can't get enough either but my husband and two older girls say that the sour is a bit too much. So if you like sour....

The juicer in the picture is AWESOME! I think it's Pampered Chef.

Lime Sorbet

2 Cups sugar
2 Cups water
1 1/2 Cups freshly squeezed lime juice (a dozen or so limes - use real limes, not concentrate)
1 Tbs finely grated lime zest (I did not use, forgot!)

Mix water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer without stirring until the sugar dissolves. About 3 -5 minutes. Cool completely.

While the simple syrup is cooking, begin squeezing lime juice. Strain juice to remove pulp (I did not do this either). Add zest to the juice. While the syrup is cooling, the juice can be refrigerated.

Combine juice and syrup in ice cream maker and process until frozen. Transfer sorbet to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours to harden.

What a treat this was. I think I like it better than the peanut butter banana ice cream. I'm not sure why, but the ice cream is very, very hard (much more so than store bought) after sitting overnight where this sorbet still has a wonderful light texture and is easy to scoop. Anyone out their make their own ice cream and know why it gets so hard?

Want to win an ice cream maker (or anything else for $50 from Cookware.com)? Enter my giveaway for a $50 gift certificate!

Visit Blessed with Grace for more Tempt My Tummy recipes!

Come back tomorrow for the Food Network Chefs Cooking Challenge and see what everyone has been cooking!

6 comments:

  1. Yummy!

    I do make my own ice cream, but I haven't had it get incredibly hard. I find that when I use higher fat milk/cream the ice cream stays a bit softer than when I use the lower-fat variety. But, I find myself leaving the ice cream sit out on the counter to "thaw" before scooping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh what a great recipe! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lime in almost anything, this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete