Monday, August 17, 2009

I'm a Missionary in Yangon, Myanmar


As a busy stay-at-home mother my priority is to raise healthy kids that know Jesus and can see Him in me. Too often I find myself dismissing my call to service outside my home because I have young children. I would love to go on a mission trip (our church has amazing distributed journeys everywhere in the world) but at this stage in my life it's not possible and I haven't yet convinced my husband that we should be missionaries to Africa. (How cool would that be? Now THAT would be elite education for the kids.) When the opportunity came along to serve throughout the world from my home and with completely flexible hours, I knew it was for me. I have been involved with Global Media Outreach for a couple of months as an online missionary and it has been an amazing gift.

As people from all over the world search for Jesus through one of GMO's over 90 web sites, they have the opportunity to contact GMO with questions. Their questions come to the volunteers (this is me!) who answer their emails and help them know God better. You wouldn't believe the places where my emails have come from....Kenya, Romania, Egypt, India, Philippines, Morocco, Japan, just to name a few. It's a great learning experience for me, which I get to pass on to my children ("Do you know where Mommy got an email from today?.....Let's go find Yangon, Myanmar on a map.").

Here's a bit more about it from their website....

Our Mission
Global Media Outreach prays that we see…
A world where we reach every person for Christ using the internet and other media.
Our Vision
The vision of GMO is to give everyone on earth multiple opportunities to know Jesus, see hundreds of millions accept Christ and see them grow in their faith and connect them to Christian movements everywhere.
The strategy: move people from isolation to connection and from information to transformation

Our Technology Plans
We plan to utilize internet-based outreach and communication technologies in text, video, audio on multiple platforms. We use computers, things that think, iPods, cell phones, Podcasting, internet radio, TV, film, and other emerging communication technologies. CRM technologies are currently in development for relationship, Bible study, devotionals and discipleship. Our goal is to provide ubiquitous, wireless, always on, global network communications 24 x 7 x 365.

Our Goal for Languages
We want to present the gospel in the top internet languages covering 85% of the 1 billion people using the internet – in English, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, German, French, Korean, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Arabic, and Russian.

Your Goal for Personal Ministry
GMO has developed a unique response system that can securely empower thousands of people as online missionaries to personally share their faith one-on-one through the Internet as they respond to seekers.

2 comments:

  1. VERY cool Sarah!! I'll be looking into this as well....I, too, would love to do a mission trip but it is difficult with the little guys. What a great Godly way to become involved though. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy MOnday to you. Hope you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete