Monday, May 18, 2009

Tempt My Tummy - Coconut Sticky Rice



I was going through my recipes this evening and came across this one. I made it several times in years past and am now craving it. Mangoes are on sale everywhere right now so I am going to make it this week. Mangoes not on sale in your neck of the woods? Most often we ate the rice without the mangoes. It's just as good!




Coconut Sticky Rice

1 cup sticky rice (or just use regular medium or short grain rice - long grain will not get as sticky)
1 can coconut milk
2/3 cup sugar
½ tsp salt
mango (optional)

Cover rice with cold water and rinse, repeat until that water runs clear – about 3 times.

In medium pan bring 1 ¾ cups of water to a boil. Add rice and stir briefly. Reduce heat to low simmer and cover. Cook 20-25 minutes or until the water is absorbed.

In another pan combine coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Boil for 3 minutes stirring frequently. Remove from heat.

Mix the milk mixture and rice together. Stir well.

Cover top of rice directly with aluminum foil. Let rest for 30 minutes at room temp. Serve with cubed mango.

7 comments:

  1. *drool* YUM!! I'll ditch the mango, cause I hate it, but I like sticky rice. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good, I've never made sticky rice (have had it though) I love mango .. mmm sounds like a good summer side dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm...sounds delicious! I LOVE coconut rice!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I will be trying this one very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is delicious! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete