Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Works For Me - Magazine Article Organization


I have learned that if I save an entire magazine I will not go back and look at anything in it. Tearing the pages out that I find helpful (the VERY FIRST time I read it) saves me a lot of time. I use an accordion file to stash these away for the times I am looking for a project. I organize them first by holiday...so I can just grab my Easter folder about now and see what I can come up with for the festivities. I even store holiday related recipes in there. I know I won't need them any other time during the year so why not have it all together? I also have random categories such as Birthday Party Themes, Everyday Crafts, Cookie Decoration, Gardening, etc.


You can see by the labeling that the file was also once my Alphabet file. I would cut things out that started with that letter so that when I needed them for an impromptu letter lesson I would have them handy. I also use a similar filing system for recipes that I have not yet tried so have not earned a place in my recipe box yet. You can see that HERE.


This works for me!

What do you do with all of the magazine articles you find?

For other Works For Me! Wednesday ideas go to We Are That Family.


11 comments:

  1. wow, that is a great idea! i definitely need to do that myself. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, about all I ever tear out of magazines these days is recipes, which I gather in a big pile and say, "I really need to organize these." :)

    Thanks for the tip. Maybe we can make something like this work at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tear out the pages - but this is just what I need to sort them after that. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I have a shelf for magazines, but nothing like that. I see a new project coming my way! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea! I've been tearing out the pages, but then they just hang out in disorganized piles until I get tired of looking at them and get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! I already tear out recipes I like and put them in a binder with my cookbooks, but sometimes I find a great craft idea or a project that I'd like to do with my kids "one day." I have a whole stack of accordion files that were bought in a fit of hopeful organization. Of course, they are, as of yet, unused. Perhaps, I'll get on this over Spring Break next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm currently going through my Parents/Family Fun magazines to organize ideas in a binder the same way you do yours in the accordion file. I've been "working on it" for quite some time now. :) I like that you do it the FIRST time you read the magazine...from now on that's what I'm going to do! I never go back and re-read the magazine even though I say I will. I'm also working on this same kind of binder system with my craft magazines. I have a feeling that project will be taking me much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tearing out the pages the first time you go through the magazine is such a good idea! I put mine in 3 ring binders in page protectors instead of the accordion file, but it seems to be a pretty similar concept =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an awesome idea! I always read articles and think "I need to remember that!" but I never do. I'll have to snag your idea!

    Also, my post for next week's WFMW is about a way to cut those articles out!

    (Thanks for the comment! I'm so enjoying meeting new people!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea. You are right, I keep the magazine and then don't get a chance to look at it!

    ReplyDelete