Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Temp My Tummy Spinach Meatball Sub Casserole


I've been waiting for just the right time to try the Spinach Meatballs over at My Muffin Thursdays. I was afraid that my husband and kids would spot the green intruder a mile away. Then I found a recipe for a meatball sub casserole in our preschool's cookbook. We all love meatball subs and casseroles can mask just about anything.....so I did the great experiment. The result? Everyone liked the meatballs. The girls didn't like the bread part. I loved the meatballs and ate it for lunch each day until it was gone. So good!

First, the meatballs. I thought it sounded like A LOT of spices, but it worked well. I made the meatballs pretty big...it might have been easier if I had made them a but smaller.

Mom's Spinach Meatballs

1lb ground beef
1 (10oz) pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/4c grated Parmesan cheese
2 large white mushrooms, quartered (I used canned - that's all I had)
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1tsp pepper
1/2tsp salt
2 eggs

Directions:In a food processor, combine spinach, Parmesan, mushrooms, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, pepper, and salt. Process till well combined. Add eggs one at a time and process till well combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Combine with beef (I find this works best with one's hands). Mix well.

Shape into 1 1/2" balls. I got about 30 out of my batch. Place meatballs on a baking sheet lined with foil and/or sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees about 15 minutes, or till meat is no longer pink.

Then the casserole. Obviously, I skip the meatball part. I included it all in case you are not ready to jump in with the spinach and mushrooms. It will be good with regular ones. I also didn't use all of the water it called for. I used a little to rinse the rest of the sauce out of the jar (maybe 1/3 cup).
Meatball Sub Casserole

1/3 cup chopped green onion, to taste
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb ground beef
1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1 inch slices
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup mayonnaise (not low-fat or lite)
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 (28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
1 cup water
2 garlic cloves, minced
Preheat oven to 400.

In a bowl, combine onions, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
Add beef and mix well.
shape into 1-inch balls; place on a rack.
In a shall baking pan, bake for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink. (Or cook in a skillet on medium heat.).
Reduce oven temperature to 350.
Meanwhile, arrange bread in a single layer in an ungreased 13x9x2" baking dish.
(All of the bread might not be used.).
Combine cream cheese, mayo, Italian seasoning and pepper; spread over the bread.
Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella.
Combine sauce, water and garlic; add meatballs.
Pour over cheese mixture; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
Bake, uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes or until heated through.

9 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Your blog is so nice, thank you for sharing, looks delicious, cant wait to try. Have a very blessed day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!!!!!!!! I will definitely make this during the weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic - I will definitely have to try this. I love meatball subs!

    You are right - the chips would need to be mixed into the batter. Nothing is worse than burnt chocolate :(

    I saw on your profile you were in 4-H -- me too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that picture is wonderful. I could dive into those meatballs and cheesy goodness! Thank you for sharing your recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. I am drooling!! That looks SO good! I just copied/pasted and will be adding this one to my recipe files! Oh. My. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy guacamole batman, that sounds absolutely sinful and delicious! I can't wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks amazing. Wish I could make it today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good! how much longer must I wait for technology to catch up with my desires....sitting here waiting...hungry...the food is still not appearing on my side of the monitor...I'll give it a few more minutes : )

    ReplyDelete