Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tempt My Tummy Italian

I few months ago I ate at Carabba's and ordered this as my side (to Chicken Marsala, of course). When I was eating it with the meal I didn't notice how good it was because it was unfairly competing with the Marsala. When I had it's leftovers I realized this is good, good, good. So I found a copy cat recipe. It's pretty easy to make and very tasty. AND it's spicy...so I don't have to share with anyone else in the house :) but I would if they asked! It's kind of like me getting a veggie pizza, I would share but I don't think I'll have to!

AMATRICIANA SAUCE
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 ounces pancetta-sliced 1/4-inch thick, then cut into 1/4-inch dice
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 (35-ounce) can whole peeled Italian tomatoes with their juices, crushed by hand - I used 2 15 ounce cans of already diced
Pinch of sugar
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup Romano cheese**

In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Sauté the diced pancetta with the garlic and crushed red pepper over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the canned tomatoes with their juices. Stir in the sugar and, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer the sauce over low heat, stirring occasionally, until it thickens and is reduced to 3 cups, about 30 minutes. Add the cheese right before serving.

Serve on some kind of funky past so that it holds the sauce....not angel hair, spaghetti, linguine.

Check out more Tempt My Tummy recipes at Blessed With Grace. You'll be glad you did!

I'm holding my first giveaways HERE and HERE, if you are interested!

6 comments:

  1. This looks like a great sauce. I'm going to give it a try,maybe give my own a rest for a while. :) I was glad to read your profile, we have all the same interests! And... it's my mom's fault too, God bless her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new look of your blog. It looks great. This sauce looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy. Yummy. Yummy : ). I love when I stumble upon something great like that. Hope your the rest of your week is happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great and I would probably triple the amount of red pepper b/c we love spicy so much! Thanks for coming by. Where in FL do you live? I am in Central FL and am going to do a meet and greet soon. Come back to see about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. not really related to anything i just wanted to let you know i really like the header for your blog. it is gorgeous and original (well at least I haven't seen it).

    ReplyDelete