Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Boxed Cake Magic






Most often I do not have the patience to make a cake from scratch but have found ways to dress up a cake box cake to make it spectacular. I don't like cake much and I really don't like traditional frosting so I'm sure that is why I normally won't go through all the "from scratch" trouble (you can gasp). I like this cake enough to eat it for breakfast the morning after.

The easy way to do a Tuxedo Cake....
Prepare a devil's food cake according to the directions on the box. Fold in about half of a bag of Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate baking chips (need to reserve 4 ounces for the ganach) and bake in 2 round pans. Cool completely.
Whipped Cream Frosting

Mix 4 cups of whipping cream (the real stuff, not the already prepared whipped cream) and 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar until it's fluffy. About 4 minutes. Frost your cake - be sure to add a generous amount of frosting in between the layers. Don't worry about cake crumbs ruining your perfectly white frosting....most of it will be covered up. Refrigerate for at least an hour before adding ganach.

Ganach

Using your food chopper (what is it that you call the thing that is commonly used to chop nuts that you put on top of the food and smash the spring loaded handle down over and over until your food is chopped, the baby wakes up and your hand hurts??) chop the 4 ounces of chocolate into little pieces - some of it should be finely ground. Put it in a glass measuring cup so you don't have to dirty a ton of dishes. Heat 1/2 whipping cream (not whipped) until it is steaming, not boiling. Pour the cream over top of the chocolate and stir until smooth. Add 1/4 cup light corn syrup and 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Let it set for 10 minutes before you pour it over the cake. Even though it seams like a lot of work, it doesn't take long to do this step but it is completely worth it!!

Join everyone over at Blessed with Grace and Temp My Tummy Tuesday for more great recipes! AND I'm using this for Works For Me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer....because this certainly works for me!!

Here is a picture of it from recipelink.com.

Here is my picture.....LOL. Photography is NOT one of my talents! Don't let my picture put you off. Even if you don't like cake you will be pleasantly surprised~













15 comments:

  1. Yum, yum yum! I don't have a lot of patience to make things from scratch either. That sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your picture looks outstanding, even next to the professional one. Great job. Happy TMTT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to make brownies from scratch, but not cakes! I have an awesome baking book on how to make about a zillion recipes from a cake mix. I have tried the 2-3 that look easy, and they have been good.
    I make homemade frosting for my hubby all the time, because he loves it.
    Your cake looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. IT'S TWO CENT TUESDAY! I would love yours! Hugs, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are totally my kinda cook, photographer and cake decorator. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always use cake mixs as the base. I have baked cakes from complete scratch and the difference is not apparent to my palate.

    Your photo reminded me of mine, except my cake plate is blue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried these before and they never look as good as this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks SO scrumptious! I want a piece right this second : ).

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks soooooooo yummy.. now i am really hungry :)

    I have alot of trouble getting my pics of food to look right too! your pic is fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that looks delicious. Yum. I'm not a huge cake person either, but whipped cream frosting with ganache? Yeah... I could totally do that! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds great. I am one to use the box cake mix and "fix it up" too. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks super yummy. I wish I could find a dairy free option for whip cream.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow YUM.. Great ideas!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete